Slipping by is not exactly a behavior of the primary aggressor. Rather it is a de facto pattern enacted by the interaction of the primary aggressor and the larger community.
The transgressions of the primary aggressor that are subject to response by authority occur in so many different areas that do not coordinate or tie in together. Even when power and abusive behaviors are caught by some authority or another, sanctions are light and jurisdiction expires quickly and there is no real accountability. Primary aggressors are usually not criminals and try to avoid severe acts in public. In this area there no real way to capture numerousness except by the narrative of the survivor, but that is not enforceable anywhere since it is considered biased
- Employers may find problems but once the primary aggressor is fired, he actually gets a clean slate. No history or pattern gets documented or monitored.
- Extended family may see clues or even recognize dynamics but they will be split into camps and end up quarreling with each other, unable to provide and coordinated or progressive response
- CPS may get involved, but notoriously dilute and obscure primary aggressor behavior with larger amount of survivor behavior because, dealing with child welfare, they are 'mother-focused.'
- Teachers and schools are mandated reporters of child abuse but not intimate partner violence. They may witness power behavior but have no where to go with it besides gossiping among themselves. often there is a strict policy of 'not taking sides.'
- Addiction related trouble often gets diverted to drug and alcohol treatment, which has for good reason confidentiality.
- Bad debts are a civil matter which connect to nothing else.
- Lying is not illegal. Well of course if used to defraud someone concretely it is, but used just to hurt, seduce, manipulate, or inconvenience someone it is not.
Where the primary aggressor is in law-enforcement, there is additionally potential to slip by. Apart from the possibility of collusion by colleagues, police are allowed power and control and stalking actions civilians are not. Moreover, police are expected to carry hand-guns constantly, on duty and off, so doing so brings no scrutiny. There is an excellent site devoted to law enforcement as primary aggressors: http://www.abuseofpower.info/www/index.htm